Worried About Employee Retention? Gallup Reports U.S. Employee Engagement Slips Below 33%!

June 14, 2016 | Bryan Barajas

employee engagement 2

A new Gallup poll for the month of May shows that 32.7% of U.S. workers are engaged in their jobs. The research shows that out of the remaining 67.3%, 50.9% are “not engaged” and 16.4% are “actively disengaged.” The May 2016 employee engagement average is based on Gallup Daily tracking interviews conducted with 7,327 U.S. adults working for an employer.

Despite dropping below 33.0%, the May employee engagement average remains higher than it was in 2015 and is in line with the generally stronger monthly averages Gallup has recorded over the past six months.

According to Gallup, organizations appear to be making incremental — but important — progress in employee engagement, pushing engagement closer to the rare 33.0% mark. Certain economic factors may also be influencing improvement in engagement levels.

Employee engagement and retention continue to be important issues for HR managers. In a recent SHRM poll, employees cited the following three top reasons they would look for a new job now that the job market has improved:

  • 53% seek better compensation and benefits.
  • 35% cited dissatisfaction with potential career development.
  • 32% said they were ready for a new experience.

Engagement and retention go hand-in-hand. In essence, if you treat your employees right, you will not lose them. It is important to engage them early on in the onboarding process, communicate goals, roles and responsibilities so they know what is expected, and recognize and celebrate success.

Supported By WordPress Database Support Services

Subscribe to the Cisive Newsletter